Skip to main
Our software consists of two parts - the engine and the API. Release notes for new features, improvements, and bug fixes will show under the Engine Release Notes. Release notes for updates to the API input and output structure will show under the API Release Notes.

These release notes are for Sovren's SaaS offering. If you're looking for self-hosted release notes go here.

Version 9.0.0

May 18, 2018

Upgrade Path

If you are upgrading from version 8.0 or later, switching to version 9 is as simple as changing the url of the service from v8 to v9. No other changes needed, typically.

If you are upgrading from version 7.5 or earlier, this version isn't compatible with version 7.5. To upgrade to version 9.0, we recommend the following approach:

  1. If you're using a parser configuration string, regenerate your string in the new human-readable Name=Value pair format. Details on this new configuration string, and a conversion tool are documented here.
  2. Parse the Sample.doc file (as well as some of your own documents) in the current version you use, and with 9.0 using our Demo Application and save those results to disk.
  3. Use a document comparison tool to evaluate the differences, specifically the new fields. There is a lot of new metadata provided that could be of high value to integrate in your application. These new fields are detailed below in the New Features section. For a document comparison tool, we really like Beyond Compare.
  4. Remap your API calls to the new 9.0 methods as described in the API Documentation, make the desired changes to your implementation to leverage the new metadata, change the URL to point to version 9.0, and enjoy.

New Features

Added an endpoint to scrub the Personally Identifiable Information from a Resume/CV. More information can be found in the REST API documentation.

Breaking Changes


We deprecated the SkillsStyle property because we now have a single canonical way and place to output skills.

Skills are now output only in the resume's UserArea, or job's SkillsTaxonomyOutput. The output is extremely easy to read and understand from both a human and programmatic standpoint. The output taxonomies are sorted in descending order of importance, and skills are alphabetical within the subtaxonomies, and child skills are nested within parent skills.

Also, importantly, we now use the English skills list for non-English skills parsing in addition to the detected language's built-in skills list. This will generally result in more skills being found, with very few false cognates.

DO NOT use/rely on the skill Ids that are output. We reserve the right to modify skill names and to preserve the skill Id when we do so. In some cases, we append a language code to skill Ids so that we can output them alongside another translation of that skill with the same Id. If you are relying on skill Ids, stop!

NOTE FOR CUSTOM SKILLS LISTS: When developing your custom skills lists, you must avoid using ANY Sovren taxonomy or skill Ids. The only way to be certain of that is to prepend or append an alphabetical character to your Ids if they are only integers.


We deprecated the ParserSettings.OutputFormat.ReportAllCompanyNamesAndPositionTitlesRegardlessand ParserSettings.OutputFormat.ContactMethod properties.

We made these properties read-only:

  • ParserSettings.OutputFormat.XmlFormat
  • ParserSettings.OutputFormat.MinimumCompanyNameProbability
  • ParserSettings.OutputFormat.MinimumPositionTitleProbability

We moved the Bimetric Score endpoint from /bimetricanalyzer to /scorer/bimetric.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an uncommon issue in our JSON output where some arrays were output as objects when they ony had a single item.

Fixed an issue where the OutputFormat.NormalizeRegions parser setting was being ignored.